Friday, March 28, 2008

Treats: Nuts for Coconuts

A long time ago I saw a video on Animal Planet or the like about a lady in Hawaii that feeds her Staffordshire Bull Terrier cocounts. The dog got accustomed to going over to a cooker and lifting the lid, taking out a coconut and chewing it up all over the ladies lawn. The organic waste helped the lawn (guess the dog went through a lot of coconuts) and the dog had a nice high fiber diet. Dogs of course don't need high fiber to be regular or healthy. Their high acid tummies love meat.

I can't seem to find the video online. Hmm..

Shila totally digs coconuts once I cracked it open for her. I'm going to have to buy the coconuts with the husk on them still so she can get her rip on. The ones I bought are easy-open just bang against a rock types that were amazing for a whole minute when I threw it on the ground. Sam launched himself at it playfully and pranced around with it in his mouth a bit (big mouth). Shila was interested in bugging Sam while he played with it but not very impressed with it as a toy. I took her and the coconut outside for a little lesson I like to call "Break it and find out whats inside".

I smacked the coconut on a garden rock and clear juice spilled out all over the place. Shila showed her interest immediately by showing off her pretty baroo face. "It's Juicy?"

Sam and Shila each got a half a broken coconut and ate away on the meat. I think by the end of the night all the meat was gone and the dogs were happy. When I took Shila out this morning she scrambled to the backyard and found some remains of the tropical treat to munch on. I do believe we've found a fun little snack that is 100% natural. Anybody know any good reason dogs shouldn't have coconuts?

No comments: